Yes, believe it or not, there are nutrition tips that golfers should follow, especially if the weather is hot and humid.
1. Golfers who ride generally burn 5 calories per minute, whereas those who walk burn approximately 7.6 calories per minute. Thus, it is important to eat a balanced meal including protein preferably 1-2 hours before starting out. If you are unable to have a full meal due to starting time, have a protein bar or some Greek Yogurt with fruit.
2. Stay hydrated-especially in hot weather. Believe it or not, you can start to become dehydrated even before your sense of thirst kicks in. This is why it is important to sip water or a sports drink every 15 minutes, especially when humid.
3. Pack protein bars and healthy snacks such as trail mix in case a round goes particularly long or if there is a delayed start.
4. Limit alcohol intake as these beverages can lead to dehydration.
5. Avoid the hot dog cart…..unless you are totally starving and have no other choice, but, if you follow #3 above you won’t be tempted.