Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Monthly Archives: June 2012
From Today’s Dietitian- June 2012
Healthful Snacks by the Numbers
Tell clients about the following list of snacks that are 50, 100, and 200 kcal.
50 Calories and Under
• Babybel Light cheese
• 1/2 banana
• 3/4 cup raspberries
• 5 almonds
• Handful of baby carrots with 2 T salsa
• Bell pepper strips with 1 T hummus
• Celery sticks with one Laughing Cow cheese wedge
100 Calories and Under
• Horizon Part Skim String Cheese
• 1 hard-boiled egg
• 1 mini-snack box of Sun-Maid Yogurt Raisins
• 2 cups of Vic’s Lite Prepopped Popcorn
• Glenny’s Low Fat Soy Crisps (around 15 crisps)
• 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt with 2 tsp strawberry jam
• 3 cups air-popped popcorn, lightly salted
• 1 Laughing Cow Light cheese wedge with three Triscuits
• 1/2 whole-wheat mini bagel with 1 oz smoked salmon
• 29 pistachio nuts
200 Calories and Under
• 1 container of Fage Total 0% Yogurt with 1/2 banana
• 1/2 cup edamame
• 1/4 cup Bear Naked Pecan Apple Flax trail mix
• 1 small bag of Beanitos Black Bean Chips with Chipotle BBQ
• 1 Quaker Banana Nut soft baked oatmeal cookie
• 1 serving SunRidge Farms Vanilla Chai Raisins
• 6-oz container Fage Greek Total nonfat yogurt, 2 tsp honey, and two chopped walnuts
• Kashi Soft n’ Chewy Banana Chocolate Chip bar
• 3 Lucy’s gluten-free Maple Bliss cookies
• 1 oz prosciutto and four figs
— Snack suggestions provided by Erika Kaufman, RD, LD; Sarah-Jane Bedwell, RD, LDN; and Marie Roth, RD
For full article: ow.ly/bO9XJ
Hot Grapenut Cereal
1/2 c Grapenuts
1 cup non-fat milk
Microwave for 1 minute, then stir and heat for an additional 30 seconds.
Top with 1/2 tbsp. honey and 1/2 c blueberries.
Nutragrain or Kashi Waffles
Van’s Hearty Oats Berry Boost Waffles
Frozen fruit -no sugar added
Kashi Stone-Fired Thin Crust Pizza
Bertolli Garlic Shrimp, Penne and Cherry Tomatoes
Healthy Choice entrees
Pepperidge Farm Stone Baked Multi-grain rolls
Frozen-all fruit bars
Haagen-Dazs Fat-free Sorbet and Yogurt Bars
Morningstar Farm veggie burgers
$ saving tip: Buy these items in bulk when on sale and look for coupons.
Baked Potato Chips
Healthy Choice or other light Popcorn
Nuts such as almonds, walnuts or pistachio’s
Nature Valley Granola bars
Planters Nut-rition (nut mixes)
Craisins, pitted prunes or raisins
Frosted Mini Wheats- a little high in sugar but the fiber, added vitamins and minerals makes up for that- makes a nice snack compared to a cupcake.
Delmonte Friut Naturals
Snyder’s of Hanover multi-grain pretzels
Mott’s Healthy Harvest Fruit Cups
Planter’s Sunflower Kernels
$ saving tip: Buy nut mixes such as Planters Nut-rition mix when they are buy 1 get 1 free(usually drug stores such as CVS and Walgreens have them on sale).
Time saving tip: Put together snack bags a head of time with some of the above so that you are prepared with healthy snacks.